Saturday, May 7, 2011

Changed Forever

Sorry for the delay in posting for a while, but things have been pretty busy here. Finals are next week, and then I'll be home for two weeks and off to Madrid.

Yesterday was a special day for me. At Drake the Friday before finals is called "Dead Day" because all classes are canceled. It's a day free for study. One year ago however, I was changed forever. It started off as a typical day, I was cramming for a few finals, but at night time, I decided to go to Smokey Row Coffee House some friends to study and to continue reading the book of Romans with Nolan and Sam.

That night Nolan asked me, "What was holding me back from giving my life completely to Christ?" I told him that I knew that was something I have wanted to do for a while now, but just wanted to do it the following week after all finals were done and stress would be low. That would be perfect.

We continued to talk for a bit, and then he really made a point that hit me hard. "If God isn't good enough for you tonight, when will he ever be good enough?" That point got me. I knew I had to make a decision to follow Christ passionately for the rest of my life, or reject the free gift God was offering me. I accepted, and now looking back over a year, it's crazy to see how much meaning my life has, and how much He has changed me!

After I said I wanted Christ in my life, Nolan showed me Luke 14:26-34, the cost of being a disciple of Jesus Christ. At that point I finally realized what it means to be a real Christian. I broke down in tears, overwhelmed and  joyful, finally being able to realize what my Savior did for me.

Yesterday night, Sam, Nolan, and some others from the Herriot Bible Study went back to Smokey Row for another study party! This year has gone so fast, and has been so often all because of how Jesus transforms and changes lives for the better.

Luke 14:26-34

"Anyone who comes to me but refuses to let go of father, mother, spouse, children, brothers, sisters - yes, even one's own self! - can't be my disciple. 27 Anyone who won't shoulder his own cross and follow behind me can't be my disciple. 28 "Is there anyone here who, planning to build a new house, doesn't first sit down and figure the cost so you'll know if you can complete it? 29 If you only get the foundation laid and then run out of money, you're going to look pretty foolish. Everyone passing by will poke fun at you: 30 'He started something he couldn't finish.' 31 "Or can you imagine a king going into battle against another king without first deciding whether it is possible with his ten thousand troops to face the twenty thousand troops of the other? 32 And if he decides he can't, won't he send an emissary and work out a truce? 33 "Simply put, if you're not willing to take what is dearest to you, whether plans or people, and kiss it good-bye, you can't be my disciple. 34 "Salt is excellent. But if the salt goes flat, it's useless, good for nothing. "Are you listening to this? Really listening?"

No comments:

Post a Comment