Friday, June 10, 2011

Getting into the Swing of Things

Now that I’ve finished my second week of classes at Nebrija, I am starting to get the hang of Spanish living. Monday through Friday, I’ve found a good routine that works, and can basically expect the same on a daily basis with a little variation here and there. It looks something like this:

6:00-8:30 – Wake up. Some days I run doubles (both A.M. and P.M., so I will wake up earlier), but days such as today, I can sleep in until 7:30. That sounds really strange that sleeping in right now means getting up that early, but I have to catch the bus to "Avida de America", a Subway station in Madrid, if I want to make it to class on time. For breakfast, I have had a steady diet of the Spanish version of Corn Flakes, range juice, bananas, and apples. At 8:30 I head out the door and catch the bus.

8:30-9:15 – This is my bus ride to the school. At first I was a bit frustrated with all the travel that’s necessary to make it to the school and back (75 minutes each way), but the more I’ve embraced it, the better it’s become. On trips to the school I catch up on music I haven’t had a chance to listen to during the school year, pray, and reflect on things God is doing in my life. On the way back, I’ve been listening to a new message each day from Mark Darling (thanks for giving me that link mom!)

10:00 – 2:45 ish – I have three back-to-back-to-back classes during this time period. Mondays and Wednesdays I have Spanish twice and art once, and then Tuesdays and Thursdays I have art twice and Spanish once. Fridays are good days because I only have one Spanish class. I get one 20 minute break and one 10 minute break inbetween classes, and use this time to hang out with friends in the cafeteria and get a bite to eat.

3:00 – Start travel back to condo in Torrejon de Adroz (75 mintues), usually accompanied with a stop at a great bakery I’ve discovered.

4:30 – Return home and get my main run in for the day. Usually in El Parque de Europa, a really neat park with miniature sculptures and statues of famous landmarks in Europe, and I also run on a trail that borders a river. Really beautiful, you can see the mountains and pastures, and sometimes there are wild horses on the other side of the river.

6:30 – Shower, eat a very late lunch/snack

7:00 – Sometimes take a nap, or else I will stay up and hang out with my family (my cousin Yas and I have been playing some Mario Kart the last few days), read, study, or finish work for the next day

10:00 – Eat Dinner

12:00 – Head to bed

Weekends are going to be filled with travel. Tomorrow I am heading to El Escorial, a town located about an hour outside of Madrid with other classmates and friends from school, and then Sunday I will venture to Toledo with my Aunt. Things are busy, thank you for your prayers! In my next few blogs, I hope to get more in depth and try to give an accurate illustration of how classes differ from the U.S., and some other culture aspects vary from those back home.

Check out below too, I've added some pictures!

No comments:

Post a Comment