Friday, June 24, 2011

Learning at Another Level!

I’ve briefly talked about my classes thus far, but let me give you an update. Today I had my last Spanish class, and on Monday I have my final exams and then I am done. This is unreal, I have no idea where the time has gone! On Wednesday, my class visited the Reina Sofia Museum of Contemporary Art, and I was blown away!

Throughout the course, we’ve been talking about why the artists painting what they are, and also what are trying to depict through their pieces. Of the earlier artists we studied (El Greco and Velázquez specifically) were very simple. They were often Portraits, Religious Paintings, or Mythological stories, and experts are able to interpret almost everything about them.

The more modern works we’ve studies ( by Goya, Picasso, and Dalí) seem to have much more depth. One of the most important aspects about 20th century art is the artists’ ability to communicate and detest troubles in the world, such as war (Picasso), social inequalities (Goya), and many more. We got to witness Picasso’s “Guernica”, considered the art masterpiece of the 20th century! Something I found fascinating was the seemingly limitless amount of interpretations some of these paintings can have. In some of Dalí’s works, there are hundreds of theories trying to justify what he was trying to depict. Although it is clear that certain aspects of paintings have deliberate meaning, many of the features remain vague, allowing the viewer to make his/her own interpretation of the work.

My favorite art to witness was Dalí. He was a crazy, crazy man, but his paintings are incredible to see up close, high-resolution photos do not do them justice. What I like most about his Figurative Surrealism (the use of recognizable objects in strange illogical settings, which causes the viewer to question which aspects are real, and which are imaginary) is the immense detail. I went back to visit some of his famous paintings several times throughout our time at the museum, and saw new aspects and interpreted new meanings every time. Some of my favorites were “The Endless Enigma”, “The Invisible Man”, and “The Enigma of Hitler”.

In Christ,

Mike



With Dali's "Endless Enigma"

"The Enigma of Hitler"
With "The Invisible Man"

Close up detail of "The Invisible Man"

More detail on "The Great Masurbator"


A Nice Sculpture in the Courtyard

No comments:

Post a Comment