Monday, February 6, 2012

Becoming Ourselves

About two weeks ago I started going through “The Purpose Driven Life” by Rick Warren, a 40 day Christian devotional. When life has purpose, days, weeks, and months don’t slide by like they used to – everyday is a new adventure to see what will truly give us purpose. Warren quotes C.S. Lewis in one entry:

“The more we let God take over us, the more truly ourselves we become – because he made us. He invented all the different people that you and I were intended to be… It is when I turn to Christ, when I give up myself to His personality, that I first begin to have a personality of my own.”

This quote can be applied to my life in so many different areas. I remember when I first came to Drake, a lot of times I purposely tried to be someone I wasn’t. I’d do it to impress my track/xc teammates, girls, professors, friends, anyone! I would consciously act in a certain way, which I thought would appeal someone specifically. Then to someone else, I would act differently. Ultimately when this cycle continues, in the end you have no true identity because you’re only trying please others and not be yourself.
Finding Christ however, has allowed me to discover my true identity, the person God created me to be. The past few years I’ve developed into the person God wants me to be, and I’ve found an inner peace. I used to be preoccupied about feeling awkward socializing with others, worried that I might say something stupid to make myself look like a fool. Now everyday I live, I can be comfortable with the person Christ made me to be, and each new day brings a wealth of meaning. God has blessed me with talents and abilities, and when I utilize them for His kingdom, he smiles and I find my purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment