Sunday, February 19, 2012

Don't Waste Your Life

I recently finished reading “Don’t Waste Your Life” by John Piper, and it convicted me to examine, how, who, and what I was spending my time with. In the first chapter of the book, Piper shares a sad story of a man near the end of his life. When reflecting on all he’s done, all he can conclude is “I’ve wasted it”.
This semester, I’ve made it a goal to not waste my life. Coming into college, I was told by many that this would be the best four years of my life, and so far I’d have to agree. I certainly don’t think life will become dull and disheartening after graduation, but right now I have a unique opportunity to live with three other guys my age, belong to an incredible church and fellowship with others who are pursuing the Lord with all their heart and sole, run for a division I track program, lead the chemistry club, and take classes and conduct research that interests me. With all of these activities and experiences to keep me busy, it would seem that it’d be hard not to waste my life, but I’ve found in the past that immersing my self in an assortment of extracurriculars won’t lead me down the road to happiness. 
The only thing that can ever truly satisfy my thrust for satisfaction is a relationship with God and Jesus Christ. It’s when I begin to live for him and not me, that I don’t waste my life. I find that a common misconception among the younger generation that the only way to live for God is by going to church, and taking part in other Christian activities such as Bible study, worship nights, etc…
This approach is completely contrary to what the Bible says, and those who live life with this viewpoint cannot find satisfaction. Going to church, studying the Bible, and praising the Lord needs to be viewed as a joy and privilege, not a duty! By living with this mindset, I know I’m not wasting my life.
I still love running, studying, and leading for the glory of God. It brings him great joy when he sees me living, working, and wanting to become more like Christ. On my track spikes, as a reminder I have Colossians 3:17 –

“And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.”

College is great, and it’s going by fast! I have an opportunity to live for Christ, reach out to and love other people, and be in fellowship with a wonderful body of believers, and glorify God in all areas of my life daily.




No comments:

Post a Comment