Saturday, March 9, 2013

On Writing

    The biggest area I’ve improved in academically in my time at Drake has been my writing. In high school, I focused heavily on math and science, and my ACT writing and reading sections showed that. I carried this mindset into college, and really didn’t care at first about any of the classes I was going to take outside of chemistry and math.
    However, I believe the most rewarding classes I’ve taken in college have been my area of inquiry (AOI) courses that span across all disciplines of academia. Surprisingly, I’ve found that these courses have challenged my critical thinking and writing skills the most, and have significantly made me a better student in math and science.
    AOIs have been the most challenging courses I’ve taken, and besides being a source for new interests, all have had significant writing components. In the past four years, I’ve had to write about various philosophical issues, China’s relationship with the U.S., leadership in my generation, technological ethics, nutrition, the significance of art, and more. Not to mention the numerous scientific reports. Although none of those issues may be directly relevant to me in my career as a physical therapist, they’ve sharpened my intellect and provided ways for me to think in different perspectives about many issues. This will undoubtedly serve me well in my career and in all areas of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment