Sunday, February 20, 2011

A Disgrace to my Home State

Yes, this is hard to admit, but Minnesota is probably very ashamed of me. Born and raised in the land of 10,000 lakes also known as "the state of hockey" all my life and I have never watched nor attended a a game in all my life... until yesterday.


The Drake Chemistry Club decided to have a social event at the Des Moines Buccaneers hockey game. Unfortunately, not many were able to make it, as only me and three others made it to the game together. When I arrived to the game, I was completely clueless about all of the rules, and had no idea of the madness that was about to go down.

The game was entertaining, the Bucs are made up of mostly 19-21 year old guys, most of whom are playing in hopes of earning a college scholarship (they actually have a kid who I grew up playing baseball with and lived in my neighborhood, small world!). It was cool to see how much of the local community supports the team. The arena was packed and the crowd really got into it during the game. Bucs fans certainly like their beer. My friend Dave and I were astonished as we looked around the rink, everyone seemed to have a beer in their hand but us. We saw one guy walk in, daughter in one arm, six pack in the other. Knowing this, it may not be surprising that as the game went on, the crowd got a little rowdier. By the third period, the Bucs were down and starting to get frustrated, and fights started breaking out. The crowd would roar louder when two players got in a fight rather than when a player scored a goal, they loved it!


The game was entertaining non the less, but I don't plan on watching another game anytime soon. March Madness is just around the corner, so hockey probably won't be on my mind anytime in the near future with the conference tournaments and big dance just weeks away!

Shout out to Dave and Mo, presidents of the Chem Club for setting up the event!

I'm sorry Minnesota, I love your lakes, trails, and beauty, but just not your favorite wintertime sport.

No comments:

Post a Comment