Thursday, February 24, 2011

Indoors Is In the Books

My indoor track season officially ended this past Friday, and now I will be in a four week transition period until outdoor track begins. Reflecting on the past year of running, the first thing that comes to mind is how blessed I am. My Freshman year was frustrating, I had poor performances, and missed all of outdoor track with an injury, but looking back I can see how God has used all of this for my good.

When I originally came to Drake, all of my hope and satisfaction was invested in running, it was my idol. If I was running well, I was happy, if I wasn't it became a negative influence in other areas of my life. One of my Favorite Bible Verses is Romans 8:28:

And we know that God causes everything to work together[a] for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them.

Getting injured was the best thing that ever could have happened to me. When I missed the entire track season, I realized the vanity of running. I eventually accepted Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior, and he has completely changed me! Running is still something I love to do, but I'm not doing it for my self and my own glory any more, I'm doing it for His.


Although I have not run times comparable to some of the top guys in the Missouri Valley Conference, I can't help but smile at the improvements in performance that have come over the past year. In the last 12 months, I've run 12 races and gotten 12 PB's (personal best)! Some have been small, and others have been large, but it is encouraging to see that things are headed in the right direction!

Race     Previous PB       New PB in past Year
1 Mi        4:35.61             4:32.31
3k           9:08.70              8:55.58
4k (xc)    13:25                 13:24
5k           16:25.82            15:50.87
6k (xc)    21:32.76            20:20.50
8k (xc)    27:37                 26:10

I'm really pumped up for outdoors, I know I am fit enough to chop off a lot more time!



Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment