Sunday, January 13, 2013

    As I mentioned last week, I like to set goals at the beginning of the year. It keeps me focused, gives me something to work toward, and is a good way to evaluate progress. Good goals need to be specific, realistic, and meaningful. Here are some of my Drake specific goals for this calendar year (in no particular order):

•    Acceptance at a Physical Therapy Graduate Program – this is probably the biggest goal of the year. There aren’t a lot of programs out there, so the application process is very competitive, most schools only accept 20-25% of their applicants. I’ll apply this summer and have a few schools on my radar.
•    Land a Great Summer Job – the past two summers have been great (study abroad in Spain and chemistry research at the University of Michigan), and I expect this summer to be no different. Right now I have my sights set on a physical therapy research job at nearby Des Moines University.
•    Graduate Summa Cum Laude – to do this, one needs a 3.90 G.P.A. or higher. If I get 4.0s this spring and in the fall, I should be able to make it happen
•    Blog Once/week – As a volunteer blogger, sometimes blogging gets shoved to the back burner if school gets crazy busy. I really do want to be diligent and consistent in my blogging this year though because Drake has given me an incredible experience, and it’s one way I can show my gratitude. I also want to make my blogging more specific towards someone who is going through the college application process. I’m asking some classmates and friends for input too, and if there’s anything you’d like to hear more about, I’d appreciate if you let me know too! michael.rodriguez@drake.edu
•    Run Fast! – Much of my collegiate running experience has been hampered by injuries. I’ve been able to have good consistent training over most of the past year, and I’m looking forward to seeing the hard work I’ve put in pay off. This season, I’d like to run faster than 14:45 and 31:00 in the 5k and 10k, respectively. I’d also like to score points for the team at the indoor and outdoor conference meets and run an event on the track at this years’ Drake Relays.

No comments:

Post a Comment