Sunday, February 3, 2013

Branching Out

    A week ago I did something I thought I’d never do: I registered for a business class. The course I signed up for is called “Seminar In Business And Values”, is only one credit, and meets once a week. I initially heard about this class from a friend, and although it is offered through the business school, the material is relevant and applicable to all careers.
    The objective of the course is “to discover the role of work in one’s personal life, including the integration of work responsibility with life mission and purpose.” In the first class this past Friday, we talked about our “work philosophies”, primarily whether or not work is solely just a means to an end.
    There are about 12 of us total in the class, and almost all of us our Christians, so God is brought up a lot in the conversations. I’m looking forward to gaining more insight to a lot of thoughts about work from a lot of cool people. It’s courses like these that epitomize the Drake education. At many schools, it would be difficult to take courses from the biology, business, chemistry, health sciences, and math departments all in one semester. After one week of classes, I can tell it’s going to be a challenging and rewarding semester. I look forward to sharing what I learn along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment