Saturday, March 5, 2011

Falling into the Unknown

   
Earlier this week, I had a great conversation with one of my roommates about the uncertainty of the future. We were talking about what’s likely to happen once we graduate from Drake, and how the uncertainty of the future can cause so much anxiety in life. As of now, I plan to attend graduate school, and specialize in Analytical Chemistry, but that’s still two years down the road, so I could end up anywhere!

It was a nice coincidence that my roommate just finished going through the book of Ecclesiastes, so we talked about what Solomon had to say about the uncertainty of the future:

10Everything has already been decided. It was known long ago what each person would be. So there’s no use arguing with God about your destiny.”

-       Ecclesiastes 6:10 (NLT)


Thus when thinking about my future and destiny, I have no idea right now what will happen, but its so comforting to know that it doesn’t matter, God already had my whole life planned out from beginning to end. So when I think about what my life will be like in 10, 20, 30 years from now, the thing that makes the most sense to me is to not fret about it. I could be a chemist or who knows what. All I can do is let God control my path, as he has laid out a path specifically for me.

My favorite band is Lifehouse, and they have a song concerning this topic. The chorus for “Unknown” is:


I am falling into grace
To the unknown to where you are
And faith makes everybody scared
It's the unknown, the don't-know
That keeps me hanging on and on and on to you


I love the chorus. Everyday I am falling into Grace, and there’s a lot of it. A verse in “How He Loves” by the David Crowder Band says, “If grace is an ocean, we’re all sinking”. So true. I’m amazed every single day, the way God bails me out and rescues me time and time again.

The only line I disagree with is the third one. If anything, my faith in God gives me more assurance than anything. How comforting is it to know that He already has my whole life planned out, and when I die, I will spend all of eternity with him. That’s not so uncertain. 


No comments:

Post a Comment